Somehow starting Sunday, The Grizzly Kid and I have a two year old.
Toddler-hood has begun and from what we have experienced so far it is a hoot and a bag of mixed emotions for us all. Wallaby can go from laughing to crying in seconds flat, he says the best and most random things, he is constantly learning, he is slowly becoming more adventurous/willing to leave our side, and he has the most tender disposition.
We love each day with him, so here is a preview of what you’re missing:
- He is in love with all things planes, trains, and automobiles.
- Not to mention Legos.
- Last week Wallaby helped me take the garbage can out to the street and then he got upset that we were leaving the “big turtle” out on the street.
- He is kind of OCD. Certain toys go together, he insists his parents make their bed in the mornings, etc.
- Wallaby is a total social butterfly. He takes a while to warm up to people but he hates being alone. When it’s just us he begs to have one of us playing with him at all times, but when his cousins are here we won’t see him for hours.
- For the longest time he has been repeating the first syllable on each word he says, “may-may” for Mater, “pitz-pitz” for pizza, etc. but he is starting to shift to saying the whole word.
- He weighs just over 27lbs
- After living here for months with a dozen cousins to play with he is finally starting to stand up for himself and fight back for toys taken from him.
- I thought letting his hair grow out would help his crazy cowlick to lay flat. False. Alfalfa for-eeever.
- He loves music, it’s the first thing he requests when we get in the car. Favorite songs include: “Life is a Highway” and “Real Gone” as seen on the movie Cars, “Everything is Awesome” via the Lego movie, “Woody’s Roundup” from Toy Story 2, and “Do you wanna build a Snowman” from Frozen. I’m sensing a connection… From the non-movie music genre he loves “Edge of Seventeen” by Stevie Nicks–he sings along saying “mmm, baby”. He also enjoys female anthems like R-E-S-P-E-C-T, and Shake it Off.
- Favorite foods include pizza, popcorn, smoothies, and any type of bread.
- He sleeps from about 7:30pm to 6:40am and takes a two-ish hour nap each afternoon.
- Batman is his favorite super hero
- But he may get that from his dad…
- My favorite thing he has started to say is “oh, nanks” (oh, thanks) after I get him some food or a toy. And if you explain something to him he say, “oh” like he really gets it.
- He loves to help cook and lately has been insisting that I need a chair at the counter too no matter how many times I explain that I am tall enough to not need one.
- Wallaby will beg to be read a hundred books a day, he’ll cry if we go past the library without going in, and sometimes he even wakes up early but reads quietly to himself.
- Hiking is one of our favorite activities, although that last 4 mile hike was a bit too long for him to be in the hiking backpack, plus it felt more like 8 miles since I was packing an extra 27lbs of Wallaby … we’re slowly building up our endurance.
- He is usually sweet as can be
- unless he doesn’t get his way. Like the time Dad wouldn’t go downstairs to pick up his sippy cup that was about a foot away from him.
- When I ask him what he wants for his birthday he usually answers “cake”. Good choice. I think I might attempt a Lego cake… I’ll be lucky if it looks that good.
- When I hint that he might possibly be getting a bike for his birthday he says “pink bike?”. So I hope he won’t be too disappointed when it’s red ; )
Mostly we have lots of fun navigating Wallaby’s new found sense of well everything–he wants freedom, control, choices, etc. He’s learning who he is and we’re just here to help him on his way, I pray we’re doing this parenting thing right, but so far no regrets. Happy Birthday Wallaby!