- 4 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup cornmeal (best if freshly ground)
- 2 cups flour (cake flour if you have it)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 slices bacon, cooked, drained, and broken into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 small can diced jalapenos, drained
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, vanilla, and melted butter and stir.
- Mix in cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt – stirring to incorporate, but do not over mix.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold them into the batter.
- Mix in bacon, green onions, jalapenos, and cheese just until combined, try not to over stir.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 inch pan and bake for 35-45 minutes. It should be lightly browned on top and check with a toothpick to make sure it is cooked through.
Here is what the egg whites should look like before you mix them in
And here is what it looks prior to cooking.
Then look how much it rises, those egg whites really give this cornbread some lift.
We may or may not have been eating the leftovers for breakfast this morning, but it’s definitely best when warm and gooey. If you try it out, let me know what you think! This cornbread is going to be a staple around here.